Friday, August 22, 2008

I started with Aug. 14, 2008...


Where do I begin...

I am 8 days post surgery and told myself that with all the "sitting" and mending I will be doing, I would have plenty of time to start a blog. I guess I could start with my first memories of my childhood and type the years away causing readers to fall into a state of trance or total slumber. However, I will start August 14, 2008 about 6:00 am.

Galen and I headed to Long Beach Memorial Hospital where I was scheduled for a total knee replacement (left side). {Dr. William Warden (He is also called Dr. McDreamy and Willie Wonka, depending on your perspective) was the head surgeon with Dr.s Carroll and Shannon attending.
Dr. Branch was the anesthesiologist.} Excitement, anticipation, anxiety, a plethora of emotions running amok. By 6:45 (and I'm guess the time here as I was instructed to enter the hospital with nothing on) I was in my lovely cotton, diamond-patterned, one size fits no one, gown and I said good-bye to Galen, handed him my glasses, 4 page single spaced advanced directive and gave him a farewell kiss. I was taken to the "holding" room where I met Dr. Branch, my anesthesiologist. Within minutes I was given an IV and medicine taking me directly to "I don't Careville".

I awoke about 10:30 am, there was a clock on the wall directly across from me, I was groggy and uncomfortable but happy to be waking up. The surgery went well, my new knee was in and now starts re cooperating and therapy.

I am grateful for all those who took care of me and especially to those who called, visited, sent cards and drew pictures.

During pre-op surgery I asked Dr. Warden if he would take pictures during my surgery. I think I must have been his first patient to ask. He obliged. I will be posting a couple of pictures...






`

6 comments:

Hilarie said...

Yea! I love your blog already! However, I must say that the doctors look a bit scary. Are they going to quarentine you?! What happened to the traditional face masks?! I love you so much and pray for your very speedy recovery :)

carrfamily4 said...

Yahoo! you jumped on the blogging bandwagon. I am glad that you are feeling well. Blogs are so fun and I am looking forward to all your fun posts.

Julie

Emily said...

Marcy.. I am so happy that you got a new knee! I had no idea..I really need to call you. I hope your recovery goes smoothly, I will be thinking about you. Loves and loves to you.

Unknown said...

Yay!! You are here!! Love the pictures! It was great seeing you guys this weekend.

Steph said...

Hey Marcy!! This blog is just like one of those TLC scary shows with lots of uncomfortable pictures of you being cut up :) But Congrats on the new knee! It's about time!

Hope your family is well.

tRACEE said...

Wow!that looks intense! my knee surgery scars are much smaller ;]. I can see you still had the orange stuff on your leg..I sorta like mine, it actually made it look like i had a tan for once =]. Im glad your surgery went well and I hope you have a fast recovery!